Chemical Peel Aftercare Fact Sheet
To maximize the recovery time and results of your chemical peel, it is important to follow all post-procedure instructions below:
- Keep the new skin clean and moisturized
- Cold compresses may be used as necessary
- Use of a gentle cleanser only. Only benign (bland) moisturizers should be used. We stock a full range in clinic or products such as Cetaphil & QV are also suitable.
- Mineral makeup ONLY for the first 24 hours after the peel.
- It is important to avoid irritating the treated skin with harsh chemicals, rubbing or tanning (including spray tans) for one week. No exfoliation products for 3-7 days. Your clinician will advise, depending on the type of peel you have.
- Apply healing lotion as advised by us. Aspect Post Treatment Balm is a fantastic product to use post treatment. We always have a good supply in clinic. Apply aftercare gel liberally and frequently until completely healed. This product is also particularly effective if you find any irritation or itchiness during the healing process as it offers immediate relief.
- DO NOT scratch, pick, pull or abrade the treated skin. You WILL scar or pigment yourself & these scars or pigment may end up being permanent.
- You may peel for up to 14 days post treatment or not at all. Each case is individual & dependant on a number of factors: Preparation, type of peel, skin condition & aftercare.
- NO SUNBURN! This is imperative! You can not only risk the outcome of your treatment, but can also cause much greater damage to the skin than you normally would. This is new, fresh skin. Much like a baby’s skin & you need to protect it accordingly.
- NO SUNSCREEN USE FOR 24 HOURS POST TREATMENT. Your barrier function on the skin has been compromised and sunscreen can cause reactions on the skin. You need to either stay completely out of the sun or have excellent alternative protection (such as a large broad brimmed hat… a sombrero comes to mind!!)
- Use (minimum) SPF 15 sunscreen DAILY, following the first 24 hours after your treatment, regardless if you are planning to be in the sun or not. Be mindful that some sunscreens containing chemicals may be too harsh for your skin and you may react to them as a result. We stock a wide range of sunscreen and sunblocks in clinic specifically designed to be used after treatments, should you require them.
- Do not use glycolic, alpha hydroxyl (AHA), beta hydroxyl (BHA), retinol, benzyl peroxide or topical acne medications for 24-48 hours following treatment. You may resume prescription Vitamin A (retinoid) products) 3 - 7 days after your treatment or as instructed by your dermal clinician. If you are receiving a series of treatments, do not resume any of these products until after you have completed your last treatment.
SHOULD YOU HAVE ANY CONCERNS AT ANY TIME, PLEASE CALL US ON THE NUMBER LISTED BELOW FOR FURTHER INFORMATION OR SEE YOUR PREFERRED PHYSICIAN.
Koa Skin (03) 9369 1088