Permanent Hair Reduction
At Koa Skin we are proud to offer quality, experienced, educated treatments in permanent hair reduction. This means in most cases, the majority of the hair will not return after a short series of treatments. Hair can only be treated successfully when it is in the anagen stage of growth. Approx. 30% of hair is in this stage at any one time, therefore approx. 30% is successfully treated each session, with the remaining hair returning finer, softer and lighter and will be treated in subsequent sessions. The remaining hair also often returns at a much slower rate. Any remaining hair can be left, or you can choose to have maintenance treatments to remain hair free.
This course of treatments will usually be anywhere between 6 -12 treatments (often less is required), approx. 4 - 6 weeks apart. Some patients are prone to pigmentation, we will advise you on your initial consultation if you fall into this group and will advise you to undertake a pigment inhibition treatment before commencing treatment. This is a simple process where you apply a serum to the treatment areas 2 - 4 weeks before treatment commences and during your treatment course. Should you not wish to do this, we will ask you to sign a waiver stating that you are electing NOT to do this, despite our recommendation and we will not be held liable for any pigmentation development that occurs as a result of not doing this preparation.
What to Expect:
- Because treated follicles have been heated, the area may swell slightly, however this should subside within a day or so.
- Swelling is a result of heating, it is NOT a sign of infection, therefore it is normal and SHOULD BE EXPECTED.
- Crusts can occassionally form in some spots, as well as some darkening of any pigmentation (freckles etc...) that are in the treated area. DO NOT PICK AT THESE AREAS - YOU WILL SCAR.
- Hair is ejected from the follicle approx. 10 - 14 days after treatment. This is called purging and takes time to complete. These hairs will often fall out themselves or you can lightly exfoliate or loofah the area after the sensitivity of the treated area has resolved (usually after approx. 1 week)
- Apply a cool compress if required 1 - 2 hours after treatment to relieve any swelling or sensation.
- Apply healing lotion as advised by us. Either pure aloe vera gel (if bought, make sure there is no additives, such as green dye - we have pure gel in clinic), or from an actual aloe vera plant (if you have one). Aspect Post Treatment Balm is a fantastic product to use post IPL. We always have a good supply in clinic. Apply aftercare gel liberally and frequently until completely healed.
- Do not scratch or pick at the treatment area, this is tender skin and must be treated with care!
- No hot showers for the first 24 hours after treatment - lukewarm/tepid temperatures are fine.
- NO SUNBURN! - This is imperative THROUGHOUT YOUR TREATMENT PROCESS. You can end up with major scarring or pigmentation as a result. WE WILL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR ANYONE IGNORING THIS NOTICE. You will receive this information prior to your treatment commencing and it will be given in your aftercare information. Failure to comply with this will result in further treatment being denied by us and we will not be liable for you failing to comply.
- Use sunscreen DAILY, regardless if you are planning to be in the sun or not.
- Wear protective clothing to keep out of sun exposure.
- No sweaty workouts, spa, steam room or strenuous activity for 24 hours post treatment.
- Mineral make up ONLY for the first 24 hours post treatment.
Please note a test patch is mandatory for ALL patients
All patients are required to shave prior to treatment, otherwise a 15 surcharge will be applied to any treatment
Test Patch 30 redeemable off first treatment
Spot areas 70 per 5 mins
1/2 Leg 150
3/4 Leg 200
Full Leg 250
G-String Bikini 150
1/2 Arm 100
3/4 Arm 150
Full Arm 180